Feature to ignore player/s on chat

It would be nice to have a feature to ignore other players in chat and avoid annoying comments, something like

!ignore PlayerName

obviously it would have no effect on admins.

This way if someone is affected by annoying comments from other players they could continue playing in peace and focused.

Edited by bellzebu
  • Like 4

Posted (edited)

I think semantically it is better to use most near human and natural terms

- !ignore

1. player: ignores a player
  2. all: ignores all (this is not the same as !hide)

- !listen

1. player: releases the ignore for the player
  2. all: releases all ignored players

- !ignored (lists all blocked players)

Anyway it is a semantics question, does not matter at all, the important thing is this have to be simple to implement an use.

what do u think?

Edited by bellzebu
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, OneManArmy said:

you want to add all players in room to your ignore list?

Why not?

Question, are you thinking in a permanent list or per game / map list?

Edited by bellzebu

i can't imagine situation where you would want to block whole room.

usually you block one specific user... someone who insults you or smthing.

if you don't want to talk with whole room, then just use !hide

why over-complicate ignore system 

I think it will be harder to remember:

- ignore

- listen

- ignored

But if more players will choose these commands, i can add also these as a secondary.

Also it is possible to add in settings something like:

"Ignore players in chat"

1) permanent

2) on play session

3) one match

so you can choose how you want to block usernames.

• Like 2

Maybe it's just a language gap but for me as a native English speaker, "listen" is not the opposite of "ignore".

Either block/unblock or ignore/unignore. I like block/unblock better as that is already what messaging services use.

Edit: mute/unmute is even worse as it seems like you can globally mute people.

Edited by impossybull
  • Confused 1

I think it would be nice to have an option to block player by number, for example you could type !List to show the list of all players in that room and their number.

Example: Blink23 @1
                Impossybull @2

OneManArmy @3

etc.

So you could just type !block @2 to block the player with number 2, i think it would be easier like this or in case someone has weird or long name.

• Confused 1
16 minutes ago, Blink23 said:

You know about 1 account rule right?

funny guy...

OMA maybe add a confirmation message to "!clear" command like "Are you sure you want to clear the entire list of blocked usernames? (y/n)". Idk if people will confuse/forget the difference between "!clear" and "!unblock".

• Confused 1
5 hours ago, OneManArmy said:

I have no idea if you want permanent block, or temporal. Or both?

I thought it had been decided to make it permanent but per session for the moment will be more than enough.

I am not sure at all about the !clear command, it seems a bit abstract and it is not directly related to the blocking system, it seems more like a command to clear the chat window than to clear a list of blocked players, but I do not want to start a new semantic war xD.

Thank you OMA, great work.
6 hours ago, Blink23 said:

I think it would be nice to have an option to block player by number, for example you could type !List to show the list of all players in that room and their number.

It's a good idea, I'm not saying that it should be as blink suggests, but having a shortcut can be useful especially since some players are going to get confused when writing the player names or they are going to put the player's name with the clan tag ... I'm almost sure.

9 hours ago, Blink23 said:

Example: Blink23 @1
                Impossybull @2

OneManArmy @3

etc.

So you could just type !block @2 to block the player with number 2, i think it would be easier like this or in case someone has weird or long name.

I understand that this way will be much easier to block players, but...

You will not block players 24/7. It is something you will do maybe few times in a month. And in usernames we don't have any symbols or something.

It's just too much work. I will have to rewrite whole chat system to assign number to every player.