OneManArmy

About map editor

I want to hear your thoughts about current map editor in term of how "user friendly" it is.

Easy to learn?

Easy to use/prototype maps?

Easy to make corrections?

As a person who has used it since 1.2.5 I'd say its fine if you're willing to put in at least 20ish minutes to figure everything out. Having something of a tutorial option for new users might be nice but other than that i woulnt say that its difficult at all the learn/use. Additionally though i think some sample maps which are known to have been practical in game would be nice since it would give more of an idea to new users as to what works and what doesnt.

1) Super easy to learn imo. More difficult is learning good map design 😁

2) Generally speaking it's very easy, though I have been asking for a "click repeat" function: holding down the mouse button == rapid clicking. Saves energy and time over spamming the button. Like in Minecraft.

3) Yes

Heads up, I have been having trouble playnig some maps on SW. I'll put in a bug report soon if I can't figure out the problem.

Looks cool, much more intuitive than managing cube objects. 

Especially what’s important is having good performance. On the current editor, the blocks have good performance but cube objects and ramps don’t. 

voxel system has many problems...
* with anti-aliasing
* texture bleeding / mipmaps
* size of cube is too small for detailed textures
* unusable mesh... i have to recreate map from scratch
* can be very hard to make corrections (it will take much more time)

It must be removed => replaced.

Yeah... some maps tend to not look that good tbh. But using the system in the video, it will take way longer to make stuff like this:

Whereas it can be made in only a few minutes using the block copy tool.

image.thumb.png.6e958b7d9ffd119252997bd9377d5074.png

And yeah, the textures can get repetitive, but I don't think all maps look bad at all.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/520730835184386070/633160716869828628/unknown.png

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/520730835184386070/633158923574312973/unknown.png

P.S. I know it says 50 FPS in the screenshots but that's with maxed out graphics. Even on High it runs at 120+

Edited by impossybull