impossybull

Pickups, textures, bonus flag, and objective mode placeholders

I have a few suggestions that would hopefully not be too complicated.

• Ammo/HP/Red boxes and bonus flag
    • IDK how hard this is to add, and I know there is an obvious balance concern with people adding these to their own maps.
  • Bigger texturepack (feel free to use textures in the ones I've posted) or at least more colors for stuff. I'd like to make some pseudorealistic maps like on the old editor instead of just ones with the classic Prototype colors. 😁 Between my, your, and iTerq's Noshar Canals pack, there'd be like 130+ textures which is plenty to use but would only take 1 byte of memory per mesh/side. LMK if you'd need them in a different format than they are now and I can help you out. 🙂
    • The old editor would save the textures in the map file; for this I'm suggesting to just massively expand the current pack, but just have the textures be the same for every project. And obviously the default Prototype textures would still be available.
  • Objective mode stuff, even if modes are not a priority right own it would be nice to be able to put stuff like markers for bomb sites, flags, etc. (they can look like anything in the editor) and then those objects could be loaded in game if/when the game mode is added.
    • Again, IDK how hard this is to add, but if objective modes are added this would need to be added anyway lol.

Hope these don't sound too dumb. I know even "easy" stuff is usually a few hours to add but I wanted to mention my suggestions. 😄

• Like 1

On 6/19/2020 at 5:51 PM, impossybull said:

Ammo/HP/Red boxes and bonus flag

• IDK how hard this is to add, and I know there is an obvious balance concern with people adding these to their own maps.

I think a good thing for balancing is setting a cap if possible, at least on red boxes and HP. Max of one or two per map, definitely only the one still for flags. All in theory, of course! I don't know shit about programming this stuff but I like playing with the editor so far. I also know how big some of these maps can get so maybe scaling that cap is necessary, not sure at all how that would be done. 

On 6/19/2020 at 5:51 PM, impossybull said:

I'd like to make some pseudorealistic maps like on the old editor instead of just ones with the classic Prototype colors....

Between my, your, and iTerq's Noshar Canals pack, there'd be like 130+ textures which is plenty to use but would only take 1 byte of memory per mesh/side.

This would be really cool if achievable! Especially in a world where the user could add in maybe one or two of their own, for an extra level of customization for those who might want it. Not sure what's doable really but like just for like a decal even, seems like a cool idea to me but again in a fantasy land probably haha. 

• Like 1

The thing is is that the map files are <100 KB mostly, but my texturepacks on the old editor are about 2MB / 64 textures = 31 KB per texture average. So having any map-specific textures would greatly increase the size of the file. Even as a jpg, it is 10 KB per texture. But having texture files just come with the game, it would only be 1-6 bytes per object (base texture and any sides with different textures) to have 256 texture options (1 byte = 256 values). I think it's doable and I'd really like to see it added; only question is what textures to include. Only other thing to consider is *maybe* performance is better optimized with the Prototype textures, but I feel like it would make no difference if anti-aliasing is off.

Number of materials in editor/game will not impact size of map.

In old editor was only one material for all textures (texture atlas). In new editor every texture = new material. More materials you will use = worse will be performance.

But there are ways to optimize... best will be to use runtime occlusion culling (on GPU). Basically every object which is not visible by camera, will be hidden. In this case even huge maps with many materials will run just fine on low end systems. But of course you will have to think when you will make map, because if on map will be place where player can see whole map, then this optimization will fail.

Of course i will add more textures in future updates. 

• Like 1

Would it be possible to do a combination of the two? Have grass material with texture atlas of grass textures, stone material with texture atlas of stone textures, etc.? Then there would only be a few different materials... but I don't know if this is a good idea, I just thought I'd mention it.

I see what you mean, okay. I'm interested to see what you end up doing with it for sure though, I like it so far and I'm getting more comfortable with it. I don't know what kind of textures you guys have lying around but I'm sure they are more than enough. 

2 hours ago, OneManArmy said:

But of course you will have to think when you will make map, because if on map will be place where player can see whole map, then this optimization will fail.

"Why's my map run so slow?" 😂😂

skillwarz_1920x1200_2020-04-01_18-50-03.png

Pfffffff that's it!? ALL those? Lol no those like more than enough for 99.999999999% of people, I can't imagine how much more anyone would need. I think what I was thinking of adding is stupid crap like putting my TBG avatar in a corner or like painted on a wall, the little stuff that is completely for vanity haha.

See though, honestly that map would be too much for me I think lol. Like I definitely stick to the smaller maps, I really dig how frantic they can become!

No, it's not possible. Old editor was working completely different way.
But don't think that it was much better in performance. Maps had much more tris/verts + problem with AA + texture bleeding + unusable mesh.

New editor will have more drawcalls but very low tris/verts and none of these problems.

Every solution has pros and cons.
Using texture atlas is better for performance, but then you can't adjust texture size for every material.

Not all textures has same scale and on that 1x1 cube textures can look too small, or too big. I hope you understand about what i am talking.

Not even talking about different shaders for all materials.
For example, you must use different shaders on water, lava, or glass.
With texture atlas and just one material it's not possible.

6 minutes ago, OneManArmy said:

Every solution has pros and cons.
Using texture atlas is better for performance, but then you can't adjust texture size for every material.

Yeah see and I have no real knowledge about that kind of stuff. But if you couldn't adjust the texture size, that would definitely be a problem. I'm still pretty new and didn't get a chance to use the old editor myself but it sounds like it had some drawbacks. 

7 hours ago, OneManArmy said:

I hope you understand about what i am talking.

Mostly, and the rest I will Google. 😁

7 hours ago, Thablaqkgoat said:

I'm still pretty new and didn't get a chance to use the old editor myself but it sounds like it had some drawbacks. 

When I get home (about 10 hours) I will point out flaws, visible in my above screenshot.

Posted (edited)

image.png.c6d31806499069fdb221e5837ed7a739.png

On 6/30/2020 at 12:00 AM, Thablaqkgoat said:

Yeah see and I have no real knowledge about that kind of stuff.

A bit of explanation:

On the old editor, all of the textures had the same scale. You can see here this concrete wall looks very repetitive because the texture is repeated many times.

Similarly, you can see I made these buildings have a bunch of detail so they would not look too repetitive.

Old editor also had texture bleeding: you can see the yellow lines there because the texture next to that metal roof texture was yellow.

New editor will not have these problems.

Also, old editor had relatively low texture resolution:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.98332a2040633b8333bfb2b560a93d05.png

And again, you can see the texture bleeding on the brown carpet (and other things also):

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.cce865f1e6f6f019a6bddcec8af36758.png

Edited by impossybull

Ah okay I see, yeah I haven't seen any issues as far as bleeding in the new one. Well I'm excited to see what becomes of this editor, how close it gets to the old one without the drawbacks. Looks like there was some cool stuff but not worth those drawbacks.