Player movement

France

Re: Player movement

Post by blasterant » 21 Jul 2019

I think it's cool but the "hin hin" while wlimbing can be quite annoying, why not add voices like "Lets climb this" "I'm too old for this stuff" "and here we go" "So climbing hum ? I like that"
Anyway its really cool, it adds parkour and maybe we can have parkour maps after
Latvia
Clan: SW

Post by OneManArmy » 21 Jul 2019

you expect that for demonstration of idea i will make sounds?
I know that repeating sound effect can annoy, but... this is all what we have at this moment.
You are free to record some phrases, grunts and if result will be good, then...
France

Post by blasterant » 21 Jul 2019

Lol don't take it personnaly, I know it is just a demo and as I said, it is really good, voices are a bonus and are not expected, I was just listing ideas and see if people would agree with it or not, but the more important (the movements) is already here so It is all good.
United States of America
Clan: OP

Post by impossybull » 21 Jul 2019

OMA, this may seem like a subtle difference, but I would have it where there is only mantling, and not wall boosting, and just increase the mantle distance. For example, to climb a container, it would be regular jump + mantle, not regular jump + wall boost jump + mantle. The reason why is because Spider-Man-like wall boosts up or sideways could look/feel too weird, and equally as important, would be hard to design maps around and (both in design and in game) predict where it could be used to an advantage. Having just mantling means that the only extended direction of movement is straight up, which is easier to design around, and also easier in-game to know where or where not enemies can be using their extended movement. :)

And unrelated, but I thought I had to ask, :D is: if mantling is added, will there be first and/or third person mantling animations?
"Practice to gain skill"
               "Think to gain strategy"

Member of Split, SWAT, Milk, RT, Dark Masters, Criminal Gamers, Fusion, Greg Heffley, and leader of OVERPOWERED.
Latvia
Clan: SW

Post by OneManArmy » 21 Jul 2019

If i understand correctly, your suggestion is to remove "wall boost jump" (what is core of current system) and replace it with "stronger jump" in places where player can climb (by map design)?

"hard to design maps"... i don't see difference. Slightly higher walls here and there + distance from some object to another (in some cases).
about animations... i am not there yet, so will see.
United States of America
Clan: OP

Post by impossybull » 21 Jul 2019

Maybe like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0IN2a4WBEo&t=170

Where the player can naturally mantle higher, instead of boosting up because they are next to the wall first.

Sometimes maps are designed so that players can just barely make or not make a jump onto or between spots. Adding different mechanics could change this. Example on a map: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceJVshr8gbM&t=261
It is not that big of a deal (of course changing the game will have rippling effect) but I thought I'd mention it
"Practice to gain skill"
               "Think to gain strategy"

Member of Split, SWAT, Milk, RT, Dark Masters, Criminal Gamers, Fusion, Greg Heffley, and leader of OVERPOWERED.
Brazil

Post by GhostSniperBR » 21 Jul 2019

i like the parkour stuff...it leaves the game ''original'',but i just didn't like it very much...
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/GhostSniperBR
Discord:GhostSniperBR#7772
Sim,jogue sério...
Mas não tanto,pode te fazer mal...
(Experiência própria)