Player movement

France

Re: Player movement

Post by blasterant » 21 Jul 2019

Movements are fine I guess, but strafing in air is a bad idea. Some weight on sniper would be cool though, so people will stop fly/shoot everywhere like ninjas with guns
United States of America
Clan: OP

Post by litenite » 21 Jul 2019

@Blasterant it's been implemented as long as I've played the game :D It's actually very useful, but ya w/ double jump and low grav; it becomes a pain to play against. Especially w/ low fps and high ping that I typically have to play w/ compared to those that know how to abuse it.
Let me LITE your NITE :):
http://bit.ly/liteniteGamingYT
United States of America

Post by impossybull » 21 Jul 2019

If we really wanted to add penalites, something reasonable would be like:
Default: 100%
AK-12, AK47, M4A1, AUG, L96, M110: 96%
M107, M249: 92%
MLG-140: 88%

COD is my only point of reference. They use:
Shotguns, SMG's, Pistols, Machine Pistols: 100%
Assault Rifles, Bolt Snipers: 90-95% (depends on game)
LMG's, Semi Auto Snipers: 80-90% (depends on game)
Launchers: 75-80% (depends on game)

However, anything less than 90% often feels annoyingly slow IMHO, so I kept my percentages higher. People can usually discern starting at a 2% difference between weapons.
"Practice to gain skill"
               "Think to gain strategy"

Member of Split, SWAT, Milk, RT, Dark Masters, Criminal Gamers, Fusion, Greg Heffley, and leader of OVERPOWERED.
Latvia
Clan: SW

Post by OneManArmy » 21 Jul 2019

impossybull wrote:
20 Jul 2019
OMA, what prompted you to ask this question?
I think movement speed is a bit too fast (10-15%).
Idea is to add option to run with empty hands (or knife in hands). Basically, with weapon in hands you move slightly slower, but if you want to move faster (current speed), you select empty hands/knife.

Under huge question mark...
what if empty hands will extend movement? You can run up the walls (slightly)... climb when in the air... and such things.

Problem here is that it can also break map logic. Player will be able to reach some places where they shouldn't be.
United States of America

Post by impossybull » 21 Jul 2019

OneManArmy wrote:I think movement speed is a bit too fast (10-15%).
I've kind of thought this too, but gotten used to it. It is noticeable in some maps, like my map "System" I designed it based off of a COD map, but in COD the movement speed is ~20%? slower so the map feels smaller in SW. Current movement speed is fine for big, open maps, but if we want to try to transition into a richer variety of maps then decreasing movement speed by ~10% may be a good idea.

Maybe in a future update, as an experiment, decrease movement speed by 9%, but have it so knife in hands is 1.1x movement speed. (91% * 1.1 = same as before, just when holding knife)
OneManArmy wrote:what if empty hands will extend movement?
The player can already jump 2 voxels (meters?) high with the swipe jump mechanic, so I don't think climbing needs a buff :) As a comaparison, in COD, jump height is like 2/3 meter, and mantle height is (in multiplayer) only like 1 meter. People already can do crazy parkour too in SW, so adding a feature that would seem to just have the potential to break maps, but not add to combat, maybe does not seem like a good idea? :?: :D

I like the option to hold the knife as a weapon, though.
"Practice to gain skill"
               "Think to gain strategy"

Member of Split, SWAT, Milk, RT, Dark Masters, Criminal Gamers, Fusion, Greg Heffley, and leader of OVERPOWERED.
France

So you want a mouvement system like in Apex Legends ? Sounds similar
Latvia

similar. In apex you have "extended movement" even with weapon in hands.
France

Ah "extended movement" didn't know the term but it is what I wanted you to add. Yes in Apex, it works well just like in TitanFall and Cuisine Royale. You can climb on higher surfaces to reach roofs, enter a house by its windows etc.
But it depends how high we will be able to climb. As we can make higher jumps with mouse movement, I assume it will be zones unreachable by simple or higher jumps. But maybe Jump, point the edge you want to climb and if you are close enough, your character will grab it and climb ? At least if you hands are empty
Latvia

"extended movement" so you can understand about what i am talking.
"But it depends how high we will be able to climb" - the height of container.
I will record video.
Latvia

Demonstration of movement: