Need help with OBS

Latvia
Clan: SW

Need help with OBS

Post by OneManArmy » 30 Oct 2019

Is there someone with experience in streaming on youtube via OBS?

I can't get acceptable quality...
I tried 720p => 720p, 1080p => 720p and 1080p => 1080p with bitrate 9000 and above, but result is still far from good.
I have AMD GPU, so i am using H264/AVC Encoder without rescale.
Great Britain

Post by P3KK » 30 Oct 2019

I suggest turning the bitrate down to 6000 as in most cases it can cause buffering in the stream, but it depends on your internet. You should also switch to advanced settings (if you havent already) and set the preset to Max Quality and profile to high, which should make the stream look a lot better and run smoothly.

These are the settings i use
https://gyazo.com/093f3a1145bbe9b9d13476e9a24f414d

Some other settings that might help. Setting Keyframe Interval to 2 will add a 2 second delay and offers a better balance between picture quality and viewer join speed.
Latvia

buffering wasn't problem and higher bitrate shouldn't have negative effect on quality.
with AMD encoder i have different options, but i set Quality everywhere.

what resolutions you use?
maybe you have video saved from stream? so i can compare quality?

by the way, did you knew about VP9? for many years i couldn't understand why uploading identical videos (same rendering settings) you could get so different results (quality wise). Turns out youtube uses different codecs and if "you don't win lottery" (VP9 codec), your video is ugly AF. And to force VP9 codec we must upload in 1440p resolution.
Great Britain

My resoultion is set to 1080p, and bitrate can affect quality depending on your internet speeds but It could be the youtube itself is downscaling the quality. I also set Downscale Filter to Lanczos, tho thats only because of a tutorial i watched years ago, not sure if it imapcts streaming.
I did a quick test stream, however this is on mixer https://mixer.com/Nisoun?vod=227129553 I'll try and test my setting on youtube later today.
Poland

Post by UnknownGuy » 30 Oct 2019

My youtube channel can be found here
Latvia

I tried 4k, 2k and and everything above 1080p gives acceptable quality, but... higher res = higher bitrate = youtube throws me warnings, video is not smooth and so on.
I have uuuuuber fast internet and upload speed is not problem... maybe something on youtube side?

This guy streams 1440p and quality is amazing + video is smooth:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZcndQAxIvU
Great Britain

I don't think youtube reduces your quality but that could be the case
Latvia

not intentionally...
like today, when i started stream i checked quality options and there was 60fps. Now after stream i see that video is only 30 fps.
Nah... i rather record video/upload in amazing quality, than waste my time and stream on youtube.

Topic locked.